A couple of weeks ago I broke my blogger event virginity and attended my very first get together at John Lewis in Sheffield. The event consisted of me, my mum (long story short, she didn’t want me travelling on my own so we decided to make a day of it and go shopping beforehand and then she joined in with the fun – a mother’s place to worry no matter what your age, right?), Georgina from She Might Be Loved, Tracey and Liz from The Naughty Forty Diaries, Lekha and the wonder woman herself, Maleka. It was so lovely to meet everyone! I definitely didn’t think I’d have been only 1 of 4 to be asked along, it increased my feelings of honour up by a considerably large amount. As this was new to me, I wasn’t sure what to expect but the couple of hours spent as a group around a table on a rainy afternoon was actually really pleasant and I came away from there feeling inspired by her work and like I’d certainly gained some helpful knowledge and handy skincare tips. I hadn’t particularly heard much about Merumaya before but I was excited to find more out about this independent range and it didn’t disappoint.
Maleka spoke about her dream fulfilled brand for the duration of time. She started off by telling us why the name “Merumaya” and how did it come along. The first impressions were all positive, she said the name develops from her family’s name cropped and made into a new name – a touch I felt was sweet and special. The personal side of things developed as she began to talk about her life and how she’d got to this stage. Maleka has over 30 years experience with many different beauty brands and has had success in various areas of the industry but she always knew she needed to create something fresh and new for the audience she wished to delight.
Maleka’s mission is to produce integrative, effective, evidence based, anti ageing skincare products that are valued for the active ingredients she puts in, rather than the ingredients she leaves out. Basically, she wants women to feel good about themselves. This showed as she was explaining what benefits she hopes people get out of her products. During the talk, Maleka allowed us to test each product as she went along the list and gave us her insight. She also did this thing where she gave us a pictured scenario related to each product she placed in front of us. Maleka wanted a woman to feel the radiance when she looked in the mirror, and she could see a woman with a busy schedule applying a product, whizzing round the house completing chores and then finishing with a fresh face. Maleka said she saw her products acting as a gym and I came to realise the words she spoke were so true; every part of the skincare makes you feel like you’ve torn off a new layer and are presented with a better, more glowing face (but I’ll get on to that later.)
Maleka believes in the 5 P’s – protect, prevent, pleasure, performance and price. Protect the skin, prevent any signs of ageing, impurities and breakouts, allow the individual to feel pleasured and pampered without the stigma of what should be contained in a beauty product, make sure the performance and effectiveness of the products work to their best, and maintain affordable prices. The motto is pretty straightforward and she (and I) truly believe her products meet this standard. Speaking of the products, these are what the brand has to offer:
– Overnight Recharge Night Cream: helps to restore skin density and firmness and helps to repair skin whilst reducing the signs of fatigue.
– Iconic Youth Serum: an exclusive complex of 10 active ingredients, acts as a bodyguard to shield your skin against premature ageing symptoms.
– Melting Cleansing Balm: a luxurious and sensual formula that gives you a makeup removal and cleansing product all in one.
– Pure Radiance Mask: the perfect pick me up treatment for rapidly improved luminosity, formulated to rapidly restore a radiant complexion.
– Skin Brightening Exfoliating Peel: a must have treatment which restores a more youthful appearance and vital glow. Retexturises all skin types to reveal a clearer, brighter, more vibrant complexion.
– Youth Preservation Moisturiser SPF15: provides rapid moisturisation, long term hydration and repair with efficacious sun protection. Enveloped in a luscious, beautifully textured emulsion which leaves behind a plumped, velvety softness.
– Intensely Youthful Eye Cream: a robust combination of eight active ingredients at potent concentrations, works integratively to help reduce the signs of skin ageing around the delicate eye area.
– Treatment Toner: a next generation formulation which is not only refreshing but helps provide immediate hydration, plumpness, softening and a youthful brightness to skin.
– Luxury Facial Wash: caressing, clarifying cleansing for those troubled by blemishes at a time when anti ageing is priority.
– Concentrated Spot Treatment: uniquely formulated to soothe, reduce redness and irritation. Helps dry spots without crustiness while helping to repair and minimise scarring.
– Bi-Phase Plus Eye Makeup Remover: an effective, gentle and hydrating product that provides a buffered, moisturising feel and swift removal of eye makeup without drying.
– Confidensual Handwash: not your ordinary handwash, one which puts the pleasure, sensuality and femininity back into skincare.
– Skin Brilliance Supplements: an exclusive and clinically trialed complex to help restore dermal tissue, increase skin elasticity and moisture to help keep skin looking more youthful. Contains RevitELex Nutra 200mg and Vitamic C, 18mg.
– Daily Cleansing Cloths: heavier than a muslin cloth so that they retain the warmth from the water, these cloths help you achieve a thorough, facial quality cleanse and mild exfoliation every day.
– Manual Cleansing Brush: a main charge/battery free brush that encourages gentle exfoliation and effective cleansing, right to the hairline and under jaw.
From what I remember, the top 5 of the above list were and are the most popular among the public. This is another addition that Maleka gave us – she gave feedback and individual opinions from people who have contacted her to tell her what they thought. It was so intriguing to find out what everyone is loving and how their skin reacted (which was all positive may I add) and it made me eager to try out the rest of the products. One thing that stood out for me was the distinctive scent the range of products had. All of the ones I tested had such a comforting, refreshing smell which drew you in for more. The sensuality and softness the products gave me (just by applying on the back of my hand) also made me gleam.
The products I was given in a lovely. thoughtful gift bag were the Skin Brightening Exfoliating Peel*, 1 sample of the Melting Cleansing Balm* and 2 samples of the Iconic Youth Serum*. Upon first use of these, I noticed a huge difference and even had compliments from my close ones; it certainly didn’t take long to improve the performance of my skin. They described my skin as looking radiant and smooth and I felt this when going to cleanse my face and apply my makeup – I actually liked how the condition of my skin looked for once! The Skin Brightening Exfoliating Peel has kind of become my holy grail. I rely on it to provide that dewiness, hydration and brightness that my skin lacks sometimes and it helps reduce dullness for a long period of time when used frequently. When left on the skin for the required time you can really feel the immediate gratification, and when removed my skin instantly glows with a healthy shine. It feels as though it does much more than what a mask does with the calming sensation this leaves. This does get rid of bad skin cells that aren’t wanted when you desire nice skin! My pores are nowhere near as visible, the excess sebum which can creep up and produce bumps in the skin are gone, my blemishes are less prominent and it truly does makes me feel alive.
The Melting Cleansing Balm is the first cleansing balm I’ve used and I’m so impressed with how functional it is. This rich and silky cleansing balm easily applies, melts right into the skin and erases all traces of makeup and hidden dirt which can build up and cause bacteria, but it also gets down to the job right away. I love how when mixed with water this produces a milky texture and is also easy to rinse away with no form of greasiness left behind. It’s so simple to use and saves a lot of time. My skin feels incredible once this has been used, that velvety smooth feel you reach for so often appears in an instance. It allows my skin to breathe and feel refreshingly clean and comfortable whilst still locking in the moisture. Not to mention it’s in a squeezy tube so makes it ever so convenient.
I only got a couple of uses out of the Iconic Youth Serum but it only took that amount to notice and feel an instant effect and there’s no doubt about it that it is worth paying the full price for this luxury. I applied this after I’d used the cleansing balm and my skin felt amazing, as though the softness, vibrancy and plumpness had improved within a click. It didn’t take any effort to blend and sink into the skin and left no heavy feeling. Although at the ripe age of 21, I can’t really comment on the youthful, ageing side of things I do believe this refines the elasticity and hydrating softness of the face and makes you feel revitalised and rejuvenated.
One thing I love about the products available from Merumaya is that there is no age limit, although some may be aimed at certain ages, they are just as suitable for anybody younger and for any skin type. I do have very sensitive skin which is why I’m often dubious about trying new things but I’m so glad I got the chance to research and trial these gems. The products which are now on my list (and are currently screaming “buy me” repetitively) are the Overnight Recharge Night Cream, the Pure Radiance Mask and the Concentrated Spot Treatment. One comment that stuck in my mind was how I was told the night cream seemed to help with acne and prevented spots from becoming angry. Although it isn’t officially proven, I have high hopes for this with what was expressed. I’m always on the look out for spot treatments and the Concentrated Spot Treatment is bound to provide results if I’m going by the rest of the products. Same with the Pure Radiance Mask, I imagine this provides the same brightness and freshening feeling I yearn for.
Maleka has so many high quality products to offer but she also values the fortes of a person when stepping away from the skincare. She is a stimulation to those who have dreams, she has worked so hard to get to the stage she’s at with only good intentions in mind, challenged herself and her products and continued to revolutionize. “If you are wondering if you will ever get your happily ever after, don’t give up, keep believing, constantly visualising and create a positive environment to facilitate your dream, your miracle” – such a delightful quote from Maleka and one which you should always bear in mind. If Merumaya products and Maleka’s kind nature and determined attitude could give a hug, they’d definitely give the most reassuring hug.